Thursday 20 December 2007

Magic circles at Treadwell's...

Anyone of a Voynichological leaning who is near London on Wednesday 19th March should consider popping by Treadwell's in Covent Garden for a lecture by William Kiesel on "The Circle of Arte - Magic Circles in the Western Grimoire Tradition" (Ouroboros Press). It's £5 (though reserve a place earlier if you can, it's only fair): as normal with Treadwell's, arrive there at 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start.

The reason, if you don't already know it, is that there is a mysterious magic circle in the Voynich itself, on page f57v. In my book, I briefly (pp.124-125) discussed a number of similarities between this and folio 105v of Clm 849, the 15th century Munich manuscript analyzed in Richard Kieckhefer's reasonably well-known book "Forbidden Rites": but despite my best efforts, this probably only scratched the surface. I am thoroughly looking forward to learning more about this fascinating subject: let me know if you're coming, and I hope to see you there!

No comments: